Sunday, September 7, 2014

Why I love Serena Williams

I have found myself discussing this frequently as of late, so I've decided to dedicate an entire blog post to it :o).


I love Serena Williams.  I am inspired by her athleticism.  She's a phenomenal athlete and seems to be getting better with time.  She makes it very easy to be a fan.

I love a lot of other things about her too.  I remember when I was younger, and she and Venus started gaining fame, I heard so many racist and rude comments about her and her body.  It's sad to me that for some people she, as a woman, is just reduced to what she looks like, regardless of how powerful and strong she physically is.  But such is the world we live in.  I actually find her body very attractive (though again, her athletic ability is FAR more important and relevant in my opinion), and it is actually quite similar to my own.  Beauty can take many forms, and to me strong is beautiful.  The mass that many black women naturally have is different than so called "standards" of beauty that society generally holds.  But it's great that Serena is different and yet beautiful in her own, unique way.  It's a very positive thing for young girls with our shape to see and love.

I love her for her passion.  I know there are many frowny faces regarding her behavior at times, and that's understandable.  There are many athletes I can't get into because of what I perceive to be their character.  But I am inclined to believe that her actions mostly always stem from her passion for her sport.  She was just as elated to win her 18th Grand Slam as she was her 1st.  And she is equally frustrated when she loses.  I think this is a great character trait.  And for those times she has clearly gone overboard, I can forgive her.  We forgive people all the time for things much worse, and we should.  She's human too.

I love her for believing in herself.  She is the minority in a sport of majorities, but she believes in herself.  This is something that obviously resonates quite heavily with me (I am a black (and female) mathematician.  We are few).  I often talk about how being the "only" is constant silent reinforcement that you shouldn't be there.  "No one else like me has succeeded in this.  Why should I think that I will?"  But she does.  She gives it her all anyway.  And because of her, there are countless other people who are letting her show them that they can succeed too.

I love Serena Williams.  May you be as inspired by your favorite athlete <3.

No comments:

Post a Comment