Thursday, May 21, 2015

Be nice!

Do you remember what it was like to be the new one at the gym?  I sure do.

It was actually my second day, not my first that really left a mark.  The first workout, a bootcamp, was really tough.  I forgot to bring water but figured I could manage since at that point I was already running distance.  I was wrong.  I asked the instructor for water halfway through as I saw my life flash before my eyes.  I finished and felt weak as ever, but I knew I had started a good thing (if you are in Austin, TX and you need a good gym, let me direct you to one of the best things that ever happened to me, Barron Jackson and X-train Fitness).  My first class was a Thursday, and I went in again the following Monday, when I was mildly able to walk normally and lift my arms again.  That Monday was a weight training class, my very first. I had always wanted to strength train, but I never knew how.  Lucky for me I stumbled upon this gem (no pun intended) by accident.  It changed my life.  That is another blog entry.  Anyway, I really enjoyed the class.  I finished up happy and was ready to rush off and start my day, when two ladies stopped me and asked me how it went.  That small gesture meant so much to me.  I would later learn that Barron calls his gym a fitness community, and these ladies definitely made it feel that way.  I was new, I didn't know what I was doing, but I wanted to continue, and that stronger, fitter people would check in on me, with no incentive at all, really solidified that choice for me.  Maybe you know by now that I stayed at that gym until I left Austin.  I still call those ladies (and so many of the other members I would meet over the three years that followed) friends.

Being new to the gym can be really intimidating.  Some newbies are simply returning from a long hiatus.  They are former athletes who have gotten out of shape, and packed extra fat onto their bodies.  Some are truly new, and have zero strength, never having lifted a thing heavier than a grocery bag in their lives.  Some people are in great shape, but completely new to lifting (like I was).  Etc, etc.  But the reality is, that no matter their story, all newbies can benefit from your kindness.  Here they are, having made the difficult choice to step into a new place and try something difficult for their hearts and their health.  Everyone else is on the sofa, but they have decided to make a change in their lives and get active.  They watch the more experienced people use double the weights they are using (and struggling with) and seemingly do it with ease!  They try a new movement for the first time, and try to comprehend the 70 tips the coach gives them to do it right.  Can you remember how this felt for you? Seems pretty discouraging right?

So gym vets, I'm calling on you.  Be nice.  The new faces in our gyms could be so discouraged by all of the above.  They could beat themselves up for being so weak/fat/slow/tired and refuse to put themselves through that ever again.  But they don't.  They give it their best shot anyway.  The least we can do is give an encouraging word as they walk out the door.  We might be the reason they walk back in.

*Addition: As someone who moves a lot, you should be nice to newbies outside the gym, too.
**Additional addition: As someone who tries to be nice to everyone, you should try to be nice everyone.  The world could really use more kindness these days.


No comments:

Post a Comment