Sunday, February 14, 2016

On consistency... and the most magical place on earth

4 races, 4 days.  Also known as the Dopey Challenge.  A 5K on Thursday, a 10K on Friday, a half on Saturday, and a full on Sunday.  Disney races sell out the day they open up so I registered for this madness months ago, when I was in very good running shape.  After NYC,  I was feeling quite "over" distance running, and found myself cutting a lot of my weekend runs short.  I also continued to skip my weekday runs as well.  So as Goofy approached, I considered sitting this one out.  I knew I could do the 5K, 10K, and half.  But I imagined the full would be nothing short of terrible and decided it was ok not to run it at all.  I decided to make a game time decision.  And of course I decided to stick it out.





The irony in running like an idiot is that it's all about running smart.  I ran all of the races very conservatively, and I think that is 100% of the reason I had the most fun I've had in a long time.  It was the full I was really worried about, and so I decided to run intervals, 10 minutes of running, 1 minute of walking.  I did this for about 18 miles before I started hurting and switched to 4:45 running, 30 s walking (or something like that; math 20 miles in really helps the minutes pass by since every calculation takes 10x as long as it normally would).  I was just past mile 21 when I started to really hit a mental wall.  And then I saw my friend, Liz (we ran many races together in NYC, so it was a special reunion)!  She started in an earlier corral so I wasn't looking for her, but somehow we found each other!  A Godsend!  We ran intervals together until mile 25 and then darted to the finish!  I have never finished a race with a friend, and I must say it was such a special kind of fun, lol.  Somehow I ran this one faster than NYC (though still quite far off my PR, as expected), and I enjoyed it!  Disney races are ridiculously expensive but I will definitely do this series of crazy again.  And again.




Me and Liz after the marathon!

Speaking of doing things again, on Friday I realized I had completed my 4th week of consistent gym time.  I try to go MWF, but sometimes (usually) my running interferes or my work brain interferes, or whatever interferes, and I don't quite make it one of those days.  This semester I teach MWF, so I am usually cramming to get my lectures together those mornings and I miss the gym.  But I decided that if I miss the morning class I will go to the evening class, and that has been working really well for me.  I would venture to say that I like working out at night.  Everything about it except getting there lol.  But I've been consistent and that is my overarching goal in everything I do.  I actually hit 5 reps for 233 on my deadlift (less than a year ago I couldn't get 225 for 1 rep), and I know if I just stay consistent, the PRs will keep coming.  The challenge is to get my running consistent too, at the same time.  My run group meets at 4:30 am on T Th during the week, so I missed most of those runs last semester since those were my teaching days.  Now I really have no excuse.  Nutrition does become really important with this level of activity (and simultaneously keeping my job), so I'm working on that too.  I've definitely been binging on sugar lately, so there is a fast in my near future :'(.  Anyway, I know the weekday running will really help my times.  The interval running (and inconsistency) got me used to running slower last semester, but the weekday workouts are speedwork and it's definitely helping me pick things back up .  I also jumped up a pace group and not only do we run faster on the long runs (we ran 10 at about a 9:30 pace on Saturday!), we do not run intervals.  I think all of these things combined spell potential for some very good races.  Specifically I'm (again) aiming to break 2:00 in my half.  The difference is I'm doing something (a lot of things) toward that goal (and focusing on it; I'm not marathon training).  My first attempt will be March 26, the last day of my 20s :).  Wouldn't that be a way to say farewell!  No pressure though lol.  Happy training/lifting/running and wishing you consistency in all that you do!  And happy Valentines Day.  Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment