Wednesday, March 19, 2014

best running temps

When we are beginning to run we always think we like warm weather for running.  Then we run in warm weather lol.



I have found myself wondering about ideal running temperatures since my marathon training has been going very well with this polar vortex.  I found this article.  I'm not sure how accurate it is but it certainly looks legit.  It says the ideal temperature for a marathon is 51.8 degrees.  That sounds phenomenal, actually.  Today I ran a quick 5 at 43 degrees.  My last long run was at 28 degrees.  To be honest, it all feels about the same to me.  I have pretty much worn some variation of the same running outfit for the last three months.

(And can I just say that temperature is another negative of treadmill running!!?  So! Hot! Unbearably hot!  I gave up the treadmill about 5 weeks ago lol. #icouldnt so #ididnt.)

Looking at the ideal temps for other race distances, I remembered that there was in fact a time when warm weather was pleasant.  Heat is good for helping to loosen up when running a short distance (vs running a long distance where you have 5-10 miles to do this).  66 is the ideal temp for a 10k.  It seems a bit warm to me.  I need to run some more 10ks, clearly.  I have lost touch with running reality.

Anyway, there's some data for you.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment