Wednesday, April 29, 2015

#REALwomenmove

Recently I saw someone ranting about "what is a real woman" in response to someone's "real women do xyz" slogan.

It made me think twice about Skirt Sports #REALwomenmove campaign.  And I decided I love it :).  It's funny how the same three words can be interpreted in as many ways.  But RWM is not about "you're only a real woman if...", it's about "a lot of these people do... including these very REAL (looking/living) women!"  How important is that message??

I was following a self proclaimed "fitness model" on instagram, and it didn't take me long to realize I could follow no longer.  What she was promoting was not fitness, but rather an unrealistic standard of how a woman could(?) and should(?) look.  I believe her intentions were good.  She often talked about how hard she worked for her body, and that others could achieve it if they just worked.  But parts of her body weren't even hers.  And the parts that were were photographed and posted so often... I just... couldn't.  Because fitness isn't (all) about how you look.  It was honestly irritating to look at everyday.  I knew that with every post, SO many women (self included) were watching and thinking I want to look more like that.  But the truth is, we shouldn't compare, and that's inevitably what we do when we are bombarded with barbie doll images each day.  We begin to see that as the bar, the standard.  But we shouldn't.  We should aim to be THE BEST VERSION OF OUR OWN SELVES.  So I opted to focus my attention on fitness ROLE models instead.  Women who post about the weight they are lifting, the PRs they're attempting (and even failing at!), the races they are running.  Right?? Because fitness is a JOURNEY not a DESTINATION and the goal is to make the JOURNEY as meaningful as possible.  To TRY, and to get stronger with every attempt.

So RWM.  You don't have to look like these "fitness models" to get out there and move.  When I walk into a running store, the clerk never guesses that I run distance, but guess what? I do!  Me and both of my ginormous thighs have run EIGHT marathons and NINE halves!  Little old me.  Because its not just fitness models that run!  It's REAL people, REAL women like me, who have (non fitness) careers and who carve out time for Crossfit and love love love wine, that move!  Professional Kenyan athletes run, but real women, women in your world, run too.  And if they can, so can you :)  You can do anything if you try.

10 comments:

  1. We do come in all shapes and sizes don't we?! #RealWomenmove

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Didn't think about the different interpretations but really like your take on this! #REALwomenmove

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so awesome how you say to be the best version of your own selves...it makes me think of that quote "Be Yourself, Everyone else is taken." I'm turning 40 in June and finally learning to embrace me for me! :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the point you're making! Although I do love to see my fitness friends posting their awesome workout selfies, I see a trend in some of them being very appearance-focused. Yes, most people start workout programs to lose weight/gain weight/tone up, but focusing on other aspects (health, energy, performance, and even the love of working out) is much healthier, much happier, and even much more motivated. In that case, we can do exactly what you are saying and be the best version of ourselves. Great post lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the focus on moving and finding ways to be active. That's what gets me out the door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. totally agree!! and i love how great/strong i feel when i'm consistently active.

      Delete