Monday, January 14, 2013

juice casserole

So I decided to cook red beans and rice for dinner.  I made it last week but halved the recipe so I still had half an onion, half a bell pepper etc. so I wanted to use up the ingredients before they went to waste.  Well this prompted a desire to use up some other leftover veggies I had so I decided to go ahead and juice them.  Isn't the joke that casserole is just leftover everything mixed together?  Well I guess I made juice casserole.

I had some very wilted celery, soft blackberries, about 4 clementines, half a lemon, parsley, swiss chard, and some tomatoes.  You will recognize all of these things from the 3 day reboot list.  The 3 day reboot that I did over 2 weeks ago...  Yeah.  I decided the tomatoes would be a bit much but I put everything else through the juicer and hoped for the best.  Again, worst that could happen is it's terrible and I throw it away which is what would definitely happen if I left the veggies whole.



While it wasn't the prettiest thing to look at, it wasn't too bad lol.  Better than the potato juice lol.  I put it in a small glass just in case, but I have drank most of the pitcher it yielded (again I juiced the pulp- there was a LOT of soggy pulp).  It mostly tasted like celery (I did have a lot of wilted celery), but the oranges and blackberries maybe (?) gave it some sweetness that made it decent.  It was definitely a green juice like the one I had on day 1 of the reboot, but I probably enjoyed it more since 1) there was less of it, 2) I had other food on my palate, and 3) the veggies were old so the taste of the greens wasn't as strong.

Operation don't throw out any food: #success!!

No comments:

Post a Comment