Monday, January 14, 2013

Orange juice

This morning I made orange juice :o).  I had quite a few clementines left from the other weekend so I figured I'd use them before they went to waste (recall that this is how I envisioned myself using the juicer lol).  I peeled five oranges and pushed them through.  It made about 2 tablespoons (an exaggeration but still).  So I put 7 more through.  I had a decent amount of juice but the pulp seemed pretty heavy/wet, so though I said I wouldn't I had an idea about how to juice the pulp and get more juice out in a a clean way.  Juicing the pulp makes a mess because if you turn the juicer on and then dump in the pulp, the spinning basket shoots the pulp out of the juicer toward the ceiling.  Now the reason you are not supposed to put food in the juicer before turning it on is because the juicer can get "stuck" or jammed with the food.  So since the pulp is already soft I figured maybe this wouldn't be the case if I put it back through.  I poured the pulp into the chute, put the food pusher in place, and turned it on.  I got out a fair amount of additional juice (worth the extra effort) and no mess!

The juice was much sweeter than I expected, I guess because orange juice from the store probably isn't made with clementines.  But it was good; super fresh and no preservatives :o).  I don't think it has any pulp at all, but it's a little foamy at the top so I drank it using a straw.  I'm finding straws are a good thing for juicers (my neighbor uses a little mesh basket to filter out pulp and foam).


No comments:

Post a Comment