Friday, December 28, 2012

it's a journey not a destination: 3 day reboot pt. 1

Ok so I am the worst blogger ever ha ha.  But it's a journey not a destination so I'm ok with that.

So for Christmas I got a Breville juicer.  I had waaaaay too much to drink the other week and the "day after" I was craving nutrients.  My neighbor has a juicer and hooked me up.  Then he suggested I watch "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead", a documentary about juicing so I did (so I can now accept that Netflix wasn't a total waste; before I wasn't so sure).  Anyway the documentary added to my already growing desire to own a juicer and lucky for me Christmas was near so I put it on my list and voila!

In general I am very much against "diets."  I think healthy is a journey not a destination (I see many things this way) and too many people want a quick fix to drop weight but don't want to eliminate the habits that caused them to put on weight in the first place... but I digress.  Anyway nutrients are good; I like that I will be full of them and preservative-free for a bit.  I do strongly believe in eating and balanced meals but it's only 3 days so I can live with that (I think).  And if I'm craving food tomorrow at this time I'll just eat lol.  But I think I can do it so 3 days is the goal.

I'm following the 3-day plan on the reboot your life website/blog.  The plan is to drink 5 juices a day.  I made a grocery list for today last night and woke up ready to get started.  I love love love cheese and sugar (I am sure there is scientific evidence somewhere that they are addicting and I am definitely addicted to both), but I ate both yesterday (#winning!!) so it wasn't hard to stay in the produce section this morning.  Anyway everything was surprisingly easy to find, nothing too exotic which I like about this plan so far.  I like trying different eating plans because it usually makes me try new veggies.  Today I bought ginger, beets, and swiss chard for the first time.  Again I most appreciated that they were easy to find.  The ginger was in the first juice, which I've already had, and though I've had ginger before, I really appreciated the spice it added.  My first thought was, wow it doesn't take much.  I only used an inch of it in a full glass of juice and could definitely taste it.


My total was $27.18.  I think my grocery store, HEB is an averaged price store.  It may be a bit toward the low cost end of the spectrum.  There are a few mistakes on the receipt, e.g. he didn't charge me for clementines, he rung up the beets as kiwi, etc. but I'm guessing it costs about $30 to make 6 glasses of juice or about $5 a glass.  In my mind I'll be making juice out of leftovers (I buy parsley to make pasta, use 3 sprigs and throw out the rest), so I'm not too concerned about the cost.  Plus I plan to drink a glass or two at most in one day so I think it'll balance out.  And you can't put a cost on health :o).

The Breville was super easy to use.  I was worried I should read more of the manual but just kinda went for it and it was straightforward.  Turn it on before adding food, push through with the machine not your fingers, turn it off.  This seemed to work lol.  I took the stems off my apples but I don't think I needed to.  Other than that I just washed the food and put it in whole.  Easy peasy.

What was less easy peasy?  The cleaning.  I see people complain about cleaning these things a lot.  The wire basket was a bit tricky but that's why it comes with a little brush to help.  I washed the juicer parts right away and I can see that being a really good idea lol.  I'll try to keep that up, though I definitely use my food processor less cause I hate cleaning it.



Finally, I'm really interested in using the pulp that the juicer leaves over.  I talked with my neighbor about this a bit.  He throws his away.  I took a bite of mine.  Then I also threw it away lol.  It was good but very dry (the juicer works!!), and a weird texture overall.  The carrot/ginger/apple pulp seems like it would be good in bread or muffins.  I'm gonna have to step my cooking game up to deal with it (I like to follow recipes EXACTLY and I'm sure not many are calling for carrot/ginger/apple pulp).  I did read that the veggie pulp is good for broths.  And compost.  I'll have to get creative.

To summarize: I'm one drink in and I'm a happy lady :o).



No comments:

Post a Comment